1. Steve is off at Sundance Play Labs for the next two weeks. He’s networking like crazy and meeting all sorts of cool talented peeps. Sitting in on rehearsals and soaking up inspiration. Right about now they’re having a Native American blessing ceremony for the workshop participants. I’m so jealous! He’s twittering his adventures at www.twitter.com/
2. I had my bestest girl friends over last night. It was the first time I’ve had a group over to the new house, though they had each seen it individually, in various states of unpacking. We ate takeout Chinese. I made blueberry boy bait and lemon-poppyseed cupcakes with lemon icing for dessert. We helped Liz decide what to wear to a wedding today. And then we sat around and drank pinot grigio and talked about books and jobs and TV shows (apparently I should totally be watching So You Think You Can Dance). It was really lovely. I love those girls so much; it was the perfect new-house initiation.
3. And tomorrow my family is coming to visit! I’m so excited for them to see the house! And also a little nervous. I’ve never had my parents come to stay overnight before. I’ve been cleaning like mad. We’re planning to spend the afternoon at Eastern Market, and then they’ve graciously agreed to help me do a few things around here. Monday we’re going to take a tour of the Capitol and then visit the Air & Space Museum. And possibly Barnes & Noble.
4. I just started reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It’s my book club’s discussion this month!
5. I finished Eyes Like Stars yesterday. I loved it! It’s so witty. I can’t imagine anyone with a theatre background who wouldn’t love it, honestly. It captures the magic and egos and camaraderie and sheer panic/joy of doing theatre so well. While reading it before bed one night, I kept giggling and reading sections aloud to my playwright husband, who was properly amused as well. Bertie is a sassy, brave, awesome heroine, the kind you want to be best friends with. Her fairy sidekicks are hilarious and pirate Nate is swoon-worthy. Now I can’t wait for the sequel! I raved about it to the girls last night and then refused to lend it out until I reread it. But everyone should read it, for serious.
6. Speaking of books I can’t wait to read, you should all check out the super-intriguing trailer for Candor by Pam Bachorz. I’ve been looking forward to that one since I first read about it, too; I think it’s got a great hook!
Hope everyone’s having a great weekend!