I love reading about other authors’ paths to publication, so I thought I’d post the timeline for me so far.
- Sept 2009: spark. I wrote two short scenes—one is in the current draft, one isn’t. I put it aside all fall while I queried my first book, Inheriting Garolass, was offered representation, & revised that with Agent Jim
- January-March 2010: Started writing Born Wicked in earnest while Garolass was on sub. Wrote roughly 2/3 of the ms.
- April-May 2010: worked on Garolass with editors’ feedback
- June-July 2010: Turned back to Born Wicked & finished the first draft, which was about 79K
- August: light revision, mostly focused on worldbuilding, with feedback from crit partners & The Playwright
- Sept: sent it to Jim. At this point, Garolass had been shelved.
- Late Oct/Nov: revised for Jim. Rewrote lots of conversations to deepen character relationships, tighten up the beginning, add lots of Cate’s thoughts to help the reader understand her better, rewrote a pivotal scene, etc
- Jan 2010: one more pass, tweaked a few things (now at 74K)
- Tues, Feb 15: the pitch went out in the DGLM newsletter
- Tues, Feb 22: pre-empt from Penguin!
- Mon, March 14: the deal was announced in PW and I got my edit letter
Any questions? I’m happy to share what the process has been like for me, but I’m not sure what’s interesting!