Reading Stats & Best of 2011

I love lists (making them and reading other people’s), and I am perpetually curious about what other people are reading, so I cherish this week between Christmas and New Year’s when everyone’s making Best of — lists. Here are my reading stats for the year:

Reading goal for 2011: 100

Books actually read this year: 61 (-39 from goal, -17 from last year)(Boo!)(I am vowing to do better in 2012!)

Books read on e-reader: 17 (28%)

Books authored by men: 2.5 (Jay Asher’s half of THE FUTURE OF US)

Full manuscripts I beta-read for friends: 3

Books I read in ARC or ms form: 28 (a definite publishing-world perk!)

Of those ARCs, books I subsequently bought: 11 (and I plan to buy at least 10 more, as soon as they’re released) (the others fall into the “not for me” category, alas)

Percentage of books read that were YA: 95% (the other 5% were middle-grade)

5-star reads (books I loved, marked by a ♥ on my full reading list): 22

3.5 or 4-star reads (books I quite liked but didn’t fall in love with — I’d still keep them on my shelves and buy the sequels): 21

Books I didn’t like: 14

All in all, I’d say it was a really wonderful reading year!

Here are my top 10 favorite reads of 2011:

1. CHIME by Franny Billingsley (my absolute favorite of 2011)

2. HOW TO SAVE A LIFE by Sara Zarr

3. DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE by Laini Taylor

4. LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins

5. THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab

6. WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman

7. DEARLY, DEPARTED by Lia Habel


9. KAT, INCORRIGIBLE by Stephanie Burgis

10. CATCHING JORDAN by Miranda Kenneally

Other 5-star 2011 reads: A LONG LONG SLEEP by Anna Sheehan, BETWEEN THE SEA & SKY by Jaclyn Dolamore, LEGEND by Marie Lu, FATEFUL by Claudia Gray, GOLIATH by Scott Westerfeld, & CLARITY by Kim Harrington.

I’m going to do a post on Friday about the six 2012 releases I’ve already read and loved, as well as the ones I’m most excited to get my greedy hands on!

What about you? What were your favorites reads of 2011?


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.