Hi! Today we’re celebrating the release of Nikki Loftin’s debut, THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY.
“A pinch of Grimm, a dash of Greek mythology and a heaping helping of fresh chills make for an irresistible contemporary fairy tale…Deliciously scary and satisfying.”–Kirkus
Lorelei is bowled over by Splendid Academy–Principal Trapp encourages the students to run in the hallways, the classrooms are stocked with candy dishes, and the cafeteria serves lavish meals featuring all Lorelei’s favorite foods. But the more time she spends at school, the more suspicious she becomes. Why are her classmates growing so chubby? And why do the teachers seem so sinister?
It’s up to Lorelei and her new friend Andrew to figure out what secret this supposedly splendid school is hiding. What they discover chills their bones–and might even pick them clean!
Mix one part magic, one part mystery, and just a dash of Grimm, and you’ve got the recipe for a cozy-creepy read that kids will gobble up like candy.
How can you resist blurbs like THAT? I got to read this early thanks to the Apocalypsies ARC tour, and it’s just as spooky and clever as they say!
1. Describe your main character in 3 adjectives + a noun.
Lorelei is an imaginative, clever, heartbroken daughter.
2. Describe your book in 3 adjectives + a noun.
SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY is a dark, disturbing, delicious adventure. (Jess: I love the alliteration!)
3. Describe yourself in 3 adjectives + a noun.
I am a dog-loving, chicken-farming, chocolate-addicted Texan.
4. If you could travel to any 3 countries, what would they be?
New Zealand, Nepal, and (even though it’s part of the U.S.) Hawaii.
5. If you could take any 3 non-writing-related classes, what would they be?
Pottery, Trapeze, and Gymnastics!
6. If you could have 3 alternate careers, what would they be?
Opera singer, university professor, pastry chef.
7. What are 3 of your favorite flowers?
Daisies, yellow roses, sweet peas.
8. What are 3 of your favorite foods?
Ice cream, cookies, and any kind of chocolate.
9. What are 3 of your favorite books?
The BFG, PIPPI LONGSTOCKING, and DANTE’S INFERNO.
Thanks so much for stopping by, Nikki! Hope you have a fabulous release week!