Hi! First – check out today’s stop on the STAR CURSED blog tour over at Ex Libris Kate! You can find out the secret behind the name of my favorite new character.
Now – today we’re celebrating the release of Melanie Crowder’s PARCHED!
“Brutally beautiful, this is a story that both inspires and sounds an alarm, a story of courage and heart. Just like Musa’s ability to tap into water, it asks us to tap into our own humanity, even though it might be more deeply hidden than we can imagine.”—Kathi Appelt, Newbery Honor-winning author of THE UNDERNEATH
“A thrilling, imaginative soul quencher. Crowder’s stunning debut is sure to become a modern classic.”—Rita Williams-Garcia, Newbery Honor-winning author of ONE CRAZY SUMMER
“Spare, unflinching, and beautifully written, this novel walks the line between magic and reality.”—Franny Billingsley, National Book Award finalist for CHIME
I say: I haven’t had a chance to read this yet, but holy wow, look at those amazing blurbs!
Now for our interview with Melanie:
1. Describe your main character in 3 adjectives + a noun.
Sarel is a resourceful girl, wary and resilient.
2. Describe your book in 3 adjectives + a noun.
PARCHED is a slim, suspenseful, and soulful novel.
3. Describe yourself in 3 adjectives + a noun.
I am athletic and imaginative; a reluctant grown-up. (JS: I love this description!)
4. If you could travel to any 3 countries, what would they be?
New Zealand, Greece, and Argentina
5. If you could take any 3 non-writing-related classes, what would they be?
Encaustic painting, metalsmithing, and horticulture
6. If you could have any 3 alternate careers, what would they be?
Landscape design, animal rescue, artist
7. What are your 3 favorite flowers?
Lilies, lilacs, and apple blossoms (JS: I love apple blossoms too!)
8. What are your 3 favorite foods?
Pomegranates, smoked salmon, and saag paneer
9. What are your 3 favorite books?
HOME OF THE BRAVE, PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS, THE BLUE SWORD
Melanie is offering one lucky reader in the US or Canada a swag pack – a signed bookplate, a locker magnet, and a themed necklace stamped with the word “listen.” To enter, just leave a comment below telling us your favorite recent MG read. Contest is open until noon EST next Tuesday, June 11!