I love reading the Top Ten Tuesday posts but rarely participate. I love this week’s topic so much I couldn’t resist, though. New Year’s is one of my favorite holidays, because–as a raging perfectionist & obsessive list-maker–I love the idea of a fresh start. I always feel so inspired. Like the brilliant Annie Cardi before me, I’m going to split my resolutions into 5 each reading & writing resolutions.
- Read at least 52 books this year. One a week. I only read 29 books last year, which is the lowest ever. Granted, I was writing and editing one book (WILD SWANS), editing another (A TYRANNY OF PETTICOATS), and started an exhausting-but-awesome new job at the DC Public Library. Still. I really miss reading and the escape and inspiration it provides!
- Participate in the Book Riot 2016 Read Harder Challenge. My BFF and a few other friends are doing this too and I’m really excited to share some books and talk about them, and also to read some books that are totally out of my comfort zone. (Read a nonfiction book about science? Read a biography? Read a food memoir? Whaat.)
- Continue to read more books by and about women of color or women who identify as LGBTQIA. I was pretty happy that 2/3 of my reading last year fell into this category, but I want to read so much more, which means purposefully seeking out more of these and not getting all complacent.
- Make sure at least half of my reads are from 2015 or before. I have 100+ books on my to-be-read shelves and yet I buy so many new releases. It is kind of a problem. But they’re so shiny!
- Participate in these TTT posts more often! I love list-making and I miss blogging.
- Finish my second contemporary book for Sourcebooks. I have an idea I’m really excited about and a character who is so unlike me & so damn fun to write.
- Possibly co-write a YA fantasy! (If my friend & I can hit on a mutually-exciting idea and style. Shhh. This is kind of a secret still, so no more details.)
- Possibly curate and edit a second historical fiction anthology. I would love to do this. Working on A TYRANNY OF PETTICOATS has been one of the most fun & rewarding experiences of my publishing career so far. I love this book so much and can’t wait to share it with readers.
- Promote A TYRANNY OF PETTICOATS (which releases March 8) and WILD SWANS (which releases May 3).
- Make sure I’m having fun writing, losing myself in the character’s voice and world, and not worrying too much about what editors or critique partners or readers will think!
Do you have any writing or reading resolutions for 2016? What do you think of mine?