4 Things That Make Me Happy & 1 That Does Not
1. Today is my bestie’s birthday. Rosaline is made of awesomesauce. She loves books and tea and reality TV, she teaches high school English, and she tells it like it is. She’s my go-to girl for pretty much everything, whether it’s painting my guest room or critiquing my book. Happy birthday, Ros! I would be so lost without you.
2. I am going to 3 concerts next month! Snow Patrol & the Plain White T’s, Rhett Miller, and Regina Spektor. I love live music and I realized after seeing a couple shows last winter that I don’t do it nearly enough. I’m so excited!
3. Steve found out yesterday that he’s getting a new alumni award from our undergrad. It’s for leadership, scholarship, and service in the arts shown by a young alumni (from the last 15 years). He’ll receive the award at their fall convocation, which is also the grand opening of the shiny new arts center. I can’t wait to go! I’m so proud of him.
4. I woke up yesterday with a new book idea. After half an hour of daydreaming, I had the main characters, a working title, and a plot. I think plotting is probably my weakest link, so I was incredibly excited to have some inherent conflict and major plot points. I jotted it all down. Now I need to keep swatting those ideas away so I can finish editing Garolass. And, y’know, write a kick-ass query and synopsis. Oh, the allure of something new and shiny, though…
5. WTF, Self magazine? I subscribe to you. And I DO NOT endorse airbrushing and slimming the hell out of an already-beautiful celeb (Kelly Clarkson) and then claiming you did it to help her look her "personal best." Editor Lucy Danziger actually had the nerve to claim that "in the sense that Kelly is the picture of confidence, and she truly is, then I think this photo is the truest we have ever put out there on the newsstand.” So…curvy girls can’t honestly be confident? This makes me so mad. I struggle with body image issues all the time, and so do a zillion other women, and messages like that? ARE NOT HELPING.